Robert Rentfro wrote:
After much thinking, I believe I will be selling the '77 300D and the '87
Acura Legend and hunting down a '98 or'99 E300D to buy. Anyone have
advice/input for me? Anyone know where a nice, reasonably priced one is?

Go for it! A lot of the nasty mechanical stuff (vacuum controlled transmission, linkages galore) has all been replaced by electronics, but the engine still has the same basic OM60x engine. The only difference is 4 valves per cylinder and an electronically controlled IP. It is still the standard in-line pump like you have now, but instead of a mechanical governor, it is electrically actuated.

The three major problems I know about are: sticking glow plugs, fuel leaks, and rusty spring perches. The fuel leaks are easy to fix, the spring perches are a PPI thing, and the glow plugs are the PITA. I have a friend's 99 E300D in the driveway with two stuck GPs. We're halfway through drilling one out... :(

As an aside, I'd keep a third car. it's easy for any car (a brand new one even) to end up in the shop for a few days....

My $.02

John