I have to agree with John and I've been around long enough to see the auto
industry "grow up" to produce the quality it does today. The last American
cars that would not go 200,000 miles+ were the full size GM products with
small V6 engines made in the early 80s.

>From my personal observations:

1960s:
Engines - 80,000 - 120,000 miles
Transmissions - about the same
Bolt on accessories (starters, alternators, water pumps, carburetors) -
~35,000 miles
Brake shoes - ~12,000 miles
Tires - 40,000 miles max, more like 35,000 miles
Belts & hoses - once a year
Points, plugs & wires - 3000 - 12000 miles

1970s:
Engines - 150,000 - 200,000 miles
Transmissions - about the same
Bolt on accessories (starters, alternators, water pumps, carburetors) -
~60,000 miles
Brake pads - ~30,000 miles
Tires - 50,000 miles max - 30,000 miles for the cheap ones
Belts & hoses - 35,000 + miles if you bought the good ones & changed
antifreeze regularly
Plugs & wires - 12000 miles +

A note about the 70's. This was the era of rampant odometer roll backs. It
got so bad in the late 70s & early 80s that even respectable dealerships
would look at the condition of a trade-in's interior & set the odometer
accordingly. Many thousands of American & import cars went well past 200,000
miles with no issues whatsoever. Many used car buyers got a "bad taste" for
American cars when they developed drive line problems in less than 100,000
miles when the cars actually had many more miles on the clock, sometimes
over 300,000 miles!

1980s:
Engines - 200,000 or more miles. Mercedes 3.8 liter engines with single
roller timing chains would fail randomly after 60,000 miles.
Transmissions - about 175,000 miles
Bolt on accessories (starters, alternators, water pumps, carburetors) -
60,000 or more miles
Brake pads - ~70,000 miles for OEM but only 35,000 for aftermarket
replacements
Tires - 70,000 miles max - 35,000 miles for the cheap ones
Belts & hoses - 70,000 + miles if you bought the good ones & changed
antifreeze regularly
Plugs & wires - 24000 miles +

1990s:
Engines - 200,000, 300,000 or more miles, providing the owner actually took
care of the car. But most didn't. A friend in the business used to show me
car after car that had not been properly serviced and the damage that
resulted. We really do mistreat our cars here in the States. There were some
engine exceptions - the Mitsubishi V6 used by Mitsu & Chrysler had valve
train geometry issues that would wear out valve guides. Mercedes 3.2 liter
engines would sludge up on Dino oil & wear out prematurely.
Transmissions - Seemed to follow two extremes, would go about 175,000 miles
or the life of the car. Early Chrysler minivan transmissions had controller
problems that led to early failures.
Bolt on accessories (starters, alternators, water pumps, etc.) - would often
last the life of the car but some still failed after 60,000 miles
Brake pads - ~70,000 miles for OEM but only 35,000 for aftermarket
replacements.
Tires - 70,000 miles max - 35,000 miles for the cheap ones
Belts & hoses - 70,000 + miles if you bought the good ones & changed
antifreeze regularly
Plugs & wires - Some platinum plugs would go 100,000 miles while
conventional plugs crossed 35,000 miles easily. The advent of coil packs
eliminated plug wires, distributors, etc.

2000s???
We see, but with technology improving all the time cars should last even
longer.

My long term observation?
Some things don't change, particularly when we vote with our wallets and
cheap tires, brake pads, Dot3 fluid, cheap antifreeze, hoses & belts are,
well...., so cheap!

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com