The ball is supposed to come out the side. It has to be installed, after all!

White smoke is poor or non-combustion, so either you have a serious quench problem or a bad injector, or low compression on #6.

Note that a cracked head will do exactly this -- coolant will leak into the cylinder and cause it to quench until you heat it up and blow out the water. It also leaks in while running, and causes serious glassy carbon buildup on the piston and head, and that carbon will interfere with combustion, too.

Are the lifters for #6 good? A dead tappet will cause low compression, or worse, trap exhaust gasses causing poor combustion.

Also check for an EGR valve stuck open, although that usually causes severe black smoke on acceleration.

Peter