Wilton wrote: "They "paid" some to retire early, either lump sum or reduced
monthly payments - don't rember details.
During "our" time any departure from active duty prior to 20 for other than
medical reasons was with NO retirement.  Of course, there have
been medical retirements short of 20 years for MANY years.  Of course, full
retirement, as you know, starts at 20 years active service.  I had 22 years
active."

My father was active duty Army for 20 some odd years, entered the reserves and
went into the GS.  He retired from the Reserves as a Full Bird in 2004 (I
think) and then retired from GS December 31, 2005.  He was working at Keesler
Air Force Base as a civilian GS in 2005 when Katrina hit.  His boss told him
after the hurricane not to worry about coming in for a while. See, my father
commanded the Mental Health Clinic (I know it sounds weird to say Commanded
when he was a civilian, but that was really how it worked and he actually
outranked his boss (Captain) and his bosses boss (Lt. Col). The mental health
clinic has destroyed. So, he was off work for 4 months and they finally told
him, he could come back to work or they would offer him a pile of money to
retire early. He took the money.

Because of a loophole in the GS and military retirement guidelines, he is a
"double dipper."  He counts all of his time in active duty towards his GS and
all of his GS towards his active duty. So, he has 37 years towards both.  Those
are our tax dollars at work.  His retirement is 115% of his salary while he was
working.  I am glad it worked out for him, but a lot of others aren't that
lucky.

Donald H. Snook