Heck no, if I'm in the passing lane I'm actually passing.

I get the most honks where RT 2 and 495 meet in Littleton, MA. I come around
the cloverleaf at 35mph and accelerate as fast as I can onto 495. If I can
merge immediately I can be at 65mph by the top of the hill which isn't
screaming acceleration but is a steady increase. So what happens pretty
frequently is that I'm in the right lane, pedal to the floor speeding up as
fast as I can. The next 2 lanes over are generally busy so whomever was behind
me is staying behind me to the top of the hill which is only about 1/4 - 1/2
mile.

So at least once a week I'll get some jackass who absolutely can't wait. They
always act the same. They'll start weaving back and forth in the lane, then
they'll pull right up onto my back bumper, then they'll back off and lay on the
horn. I always give them a friendly wave at that point.

As soon as theres an opening they SHOOT by me usually with the horn blaring and
middle finger raised. Then I'll watch as they bob and weave through traffic
only to inevitably get cutoff by some slow moving truck or something. They work
so hard and gain so little...

-Curt