Yeah I think you are correct in that analysis. I was all worried about the tires and the brakes and the engine and the tranny and all that, the only issue was going up those long mountain grades and the engine doing all it could to maintain 35mph. Everything else was fine, I had no issues on the trip, and the truck actually handled pretty well. Those are bigass trucks, I figure if they have the room they can handle the weight.

It was loads of fun when I got on some NJ toll road (NO TRUCKS ALLOWED) and drove about 50 miles before getting off at 3AM on some little road. I had about 3 inches of clearance to get through the toll gate, and no money to pay it because it was some automated thing that only took coins. I finally got out and lifted the gate and drove through, no problem. I looked at the map and that was the only road that went where I was going, what was I supposed to do?

--R

Fmiser wrote:
Rich wrote:

I determined the truck was 6000lb
over whatever it said on the door it should be!  YOW! I sorta
wondered though if that "limit" was just way too low, being a
rental and all, as the truck did not seem to have any problem
with the load.

There are two different limits - engineering and license. You
may have exceeded the license without actually exceeding the
engineering limit. And I've heard that the mid-size (class 2 to
class 6) are expected to be overloaded, so are over-engineered.

--            Philip