Hey, the sucker has run more than 70k with NO service. (other than oil changes and tahrs and wiper blades) I really don't relish changing plugs, but now that i know what to take off to get to them, the next time will be a snap. Then there is the better alternative, that I did not even investigate: cutting a hole (or 2 or 3) in the hump under the carpet, and then making a cover for the hole. I think that is probably the best alternative.

My 66 ford van had the 240 in the doghouse, and while changing plus was easy, you could not adjust the carb without taking the engine out, or taking the doghouse apart. I took a 2 1/8" holesaw, and cut a hole in the side of the doghouse, then drilled a pilot hole and followed with a 5/8 drill in another spot. Then i could adjust the carb just fine. I made cover plates, and the whole thing looked halfway professional.

I think if I had a big cordless drill and a couple of batteries, I could spend an afternoon in the upull, and make a template for future ventures.

The first one we had was a 99 with 3.3 engine and it had over 200k miles when it was bit by Bambi the 4th time. This one is a 2000, with 3.3 and is pushing 180k.I will never need to change plugs in it again. I think of it as similar to changing the timing belt on a wabbit Dissel.

At 10:31 PM 12/15/2008, you wrote:
> Loren wrote:

> I have the Dodge van

> The next one was a bear,

> from there I could almost see #3, but could not reach it.

> Then I tried dropping or rolling the engine forward, but again
> no dice.

> decided there was a bolt hidden somewhere i could not get to.

> I took the alternator out,

> By now I was really torqued.

> I could not reach or see #3.

> I slithered back further,

You have affirmed my decision never own a van or minivan. *grin*

--           Philip

Loren Faeth