The 700r4, later known as the 4L60 could be built up to tow in OD without a problem. The trans in the 6.5's was the 4L80, a much heavier duty trans.

Allen Sawyer wrote:
If the van is not rusted out, in my opinion, it would be a good purchase.
The early Roosamaster/Stanadyne injection pumps had a plastic disc in the drive
that would break in the first 50k miles.  During rebuild, a stainless disc was
used, and rebuilt pumps would usually last at least 150k miles.  I would
purchase the rebuilt pumps for about $250 and install them myself.  I believe
that I installed four of those pumps on various vehicles.
An 83 vehicle with a 6.2 would have a 700R4 transmission, an overdrive unit.
The main problem with the 700R4 was that when driving in overdrive and load or
hills caused the tranny to shift down into third, oil did not circulate between
the torque converter and the transmission.  A rebuilder stated that he saw
torque converters discolored by heat.  There was a way of grinding off part of
a head of one valve in the control body to correct that problem.  My rebuilder
stated his rebuilds could be used to tow in overdrive; however my 94 and 95
6.5s' have a statement to not tow in overdrive.  Following that advice, I
always downshifted my 6.2s if they kicked out of overdrive.
I purchased an 83 6.2 suburban, 3.42 differential, with about 98k miles.  The
previous owner stated that the IP had been replaced.  We drove it until it had
about 240k miles.  We consistently got 28 mpg at 60 mph on trips.  Drove it one
time for about 800 miles at about 65 mph and the mileage dropped to 22-23 mpg.
A planetary unit went out at about 175k miles and the transmission was rebuilt.
 Vehicle did not have a tow hitch.
If that van has not been used for towing, and surely, the injection pump has
been replaced, one should expect at least 100k miles of trouble free driving.
On an 83 model, I would be careful to use the lever to downshift, if the tranny
drops out of overdrive.