Fraid you're gonna have to pull off the timing case.
The piece that is broken off (find it here http://www.detali.ru/cat/cats/?cat=mb ) is situated between the two camshafts. Now the problem is that you have two holes in the cam cover. Why? Because something broke off in the bottom, got dragged over cam A, smashed a hole, smashed the sliding rail and dragged over cam B and punched another hole in the cover and did God knows what else.
http://www.detali.ru/cat/cats/my.mycat?Pic&syspm=fdc4f8a2525c5a0c4e56584923484b2f0134667e00110c030507005f2c276b5d702a3a3cd5cccd8fa597a99cfeece7ebfeb789bff1c496999ed789bc93919aefc1&pm=4b72461b0e0103085e332e2821323a3e7dc1b7bebfa2a2abaf93979e989d8e8f8ffaf6fdcde3d6849caca2ada9f1c7d5ca3b32323c2b152b1e7c73642d635e586f22353f3c5167
Looking at that, only chain guide 104 sits inside the chain, the rest all appear to guide it from the outside. I am starting to think something nasty happened and may not be a guide rail fault, as I can't see a piece from guide 104 going all the way round to the camshaft sprockets. However I stand by having to pull the front cover off the engine to inspect all components.

Hendrik

OK Don wrote:
I've never looked at one of those engines, so it's hard to say - did
you pull the other side and compare?

Can you get someone to crank it by hand while you watch the cam
followers go up and down? Don't know how you'd tell if valves were
bent other than to see if they go down and come back up.