Steve MacSween wrote:

Tom, the cracks are deep but not breaks yet. The concern is the inspectors,
as they have latitude to label stuff as an imminent failure risk. If that
happens I get to tow the car back to the shop and then back to the
inspection station.

Seriously deep (but not leaking) cracks are rather common. There is little correlation between cracks and imminent failure and many cars go for hundreds of thousands of miles (just as long as car that don't have any visible imperfections in the boots) without any problem. I would avoid coating the boot with undercoat, but you might scrub them down and try use a black silicone sealer to fill the cracks.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi