The 75 MPH Bicycle That's Powered by a Jet Engine [Zoom]
http://technorati.com/posts/NBMPEEukX%2BFGiVkxhFAj7r%2BYWjEmOFqedKUdUAW9s%2BE%3D
Robert Maddox is a builder and seller of real pulse jet engines with powers up to 1000 pounds... and if that's not a cool enough hobby, he's also bolted one to a bicycle. The 50-ish pounds of thrust developed by the engine could push the bike up to 75 MPH, which would be a real bone-shaker of a ride. And a deafening one too: the pulse jet engine makes a frightening racket, and its humming sound earned the 2nd World War cruise-missile V1s which used similar engines the nicknames buzzbomb and doodlebug. You can hear and see the results of this DIY craziness in the video.
During WW-2 a kid in my 3000 population home town bought two of the little "buzzbomb" engines designed to be built into model airplanes and fastened them to his bike. Getting up enough bike speed to start the engines was the big problem but once started, they would wake up every dog in town and you could hear them running a mile away. He said he had to turn off the fuel supply to stop because the old fashioned "coaster brake" on his bike wouldn't do it with the engines running.
Gerry
'
----- Original Message ----- From: E M
You're never too young to start blowing things up. lol
First thing I thought when I saw that video.....extra fuel line and a spark
plug, ta da, afterburner! :-)
Probably just as good I don't have kids, eh?
Ed
300E