Here's the quote from Adam Smith:

He said, "A profitably speculation is presented as a public good
because growth will stimulate demand and everywhere diffuse comfort
and improvement. No patriot or man of feeling could therefore oppose
it. But the nature of this growth, in opposition, for example, to
older ideas such as cultivation, is that it is at once undirected and
infinitely self-generating in the endless demand for all the useless
things in the world."

The fella that was being interviewed was Charles Handy.  Further in
the interview he was saying:

Well, I think governments are faced with a difficult problem. They are
trying to get people to spend. But it does seem a rather un-Adam Smith
idea to get people to go out shopping in order to get the economy
going again. More "useless things," in other words. But in order to
get that happening, they have reduced the base rate from the Federal
Reserve or the Bank of England, in order to get people finding it
easier to borrow. But actually there are more savers than borrowers in
society. And so, of course, now the savers are not going to save
because there's no incentive to it. So, I'm not sure that the solution
is going to be easy to get by, and I think it'll take about three
years for things to bottom out. But there may be some good news in all
of that. I mean we may get back to a saner kind of world -- what Adam
Smith called "cultivation" or "civilization" -- where we don't all
sort of spend our life trying to make money, to buy things we don't
really need to impress the neighbors, and so on. Where we actually do
work -- not 60 hours a week, but 40 hours a week. Where we actually do
take holidays. Where we actually get to know our kids again. Where it
actually becomes smart to have a tiny car, to walk and bicycle and
these sorts of things. And we may find we enjoy it actually just as
much as the hectic pace that we've seen in recent years. I've often
said that capitalism, particularly in America, is a very exhausting
business. It tires people out.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2009/01/08/pm_taking_stock/

The issue is cultivation of civilization, as Smith called it.
mao