On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 01:40:39PM -0700, Gabriel S. wrote:
> ya, well if you are driving in the rual areas where exits are 20 miles apart
> (aka interstate 5 between san fran and LA) then yes, pulling over to fix a
> tire really doesent bother anyone...at the same time these areas generally
> don't have traffic problems.

You obviously don't drive that stretch of highway often. South of Lost Hills
before Lebec is usually rather congested at the beginning of a weekend, and
weather makes this much worse.

Even on some stretches of urban highway in the bay area (like on 280 or 680),
there are stretches of 3-4 miles with no exits. I drive by one every
morning.

There are reasons the sign says 'emergency parking only'. It is not a bat
lane or a drunk lane, though some bay area drivers would have you
believe otherwise.