If the engine temperature is rising when doing 80 mph, the problem is
not the fan. The fan becomes redundant after about 30 mph. Most fan
couplings disengage about 2500 rpm anyway. I would look further into
cooling system problems.

I would work at it in this order:

1. Do you have any coolant loss? If you do, pressure check the coolant
system and find the leak. You may have a cracked head or leaking head
gasket.

2. If the cooling system has no leaks, check the lower radiator hose.
Make sure it is not soft and collapsing at high engine rpm. Many of
these have an internal spring (to prevent collapse) that may have eroded
away.

3. Flush the cooling system.

4. Check the U-shaped metal line between the front of the head and
engine block (or water pump?). It has a banjo fitting on each end. Make
sure it is clean.

5. Have the radiator cleaned at a good radiator shop. If it is one of
the cheap aftermarket ones replace it with a heavy duty radiator.

6. Check the water pump for vane erosion. If it is not OEM, replace it
with an OEM pump. The OEM pump will pump at a higher rate.

If none of this fixes the problem, move to New Jersey.:)

Good luck,

Thomas E. Potter
Telephone: (713) 215-2877
Fax: (713) 215-2551