That's cr*p.  I hadn't even diagnosed the problem until two days ago.

I've decided to go with a good used 85 transmission transplant if I can find
one.  My mechanic said the entire unit (incl. the torque converter) fits
right in perfectly.  There will be no need to swap out either the existing
speedometer or the tach gauge/sensor.  This approach will net me approx.
$1000.00 over a rebuilt one.  There is a 90 day warranty on the used part.
I don't drive the car that much so I'm not too concerned about long term
solutions.

1983 300TD
320 K miles