On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 04:32:54PM -0500, John Robbins wrote:
> >Older ones (like you'd likely find cheap at surplus) have a weird thing
> >in the software that doesn't allow it to run on anything faster than a
> >486 with turbo mode OFF.
>
> There should be another program you can use to fix that... a lot of the
> old DOS games out there depended on the CPU timing being something or
> other and when CPUs got so much faster people came out with programs to
> have an environment or swamp the main CPU so that the performance was
> the same.  Did something like that long ago to play Oregon Trail or
> something.... don't remember specifics just know that its possible.

I know what you're talking about. Last time one of my friends tried that on
a pentium, and it locked up when he tried programming a maxtrac. I don't
know why the software insists on being that stupid, the programming
software for commercial kenwoods of that era are rather forgiving with
how fast of a machine they are run on.

This is the main reason I spent the little extra and got the kenwoods
instead of getting motorolas. Since the older motorolas don't do narrow
band, their resale price has dropped like a rock.

And yes, I use the kenwoods in the 300D ;)