What do y'all suggest as a minimum length? I would think that an SDL/SEL would be the longest thing hauled.

My 18' trailer's as short as I'd recommend.  It has lots of other
uses than hauling cars, and you can haul a car and an extra engine
or tranny on it, things like that.  It's hauled hay, wood, furniture,
junk, etc.  Oh, and a few cars.

If there is no winch, where do you mount one? A lot of the winches seem to be 2,000 lb...a W126 is heavier than that and a 116 300SD is probably even heavier...will a 3,000 lb. winch do the job?

I welded a HF 1-tonner to the front rail.  You're not hanging
the car from a tree to gut it, you're dragging it up the ramps.
The length of which will determine how easy the pull is.  That
HF worm gear jobbie I used is what I'd consider the minimum.
I keep a wrench on the trailer so I can remove the worm gear,
which allows for quick spooling and unspooling.

-- Jim