John Robbins wrote:
All,

Last night I was going to use the 500SE to tow my brother's Sebring from behind the house. While we were finding a place to hook the tow strap to the Sebring, the SE was idling and suddenly started BILLOWING a HUGE cloud of smoke. By huge I mean filling my entire back yard in 20 seconds huge. The smoke was white, it didn't have a sweet smell (antifreeze), and it didn't smell like oil or have a bluish tint. I can't remember/describe what oil smells like at the moment, but the smoke had a mild bitter smell to it. Almost a burnt smell.

The car was slightly nose down... I leveled the car out and turned it off (after even more smoke from moving it!). Restarted it 30 seconds or so later and it kept right on smoking. Turned it off for about 5-10 minutes, restarted, it smoked enough to clear out the exhaust, and didn't smoke again.

That is very strange, it never did that for me and I have had it idling in the back yard for hours at a time, well maybe up to an hour or 2, while moving things around. Uncle never had that problem.

--The car is gray market so there is no catalytic converter
--There was no change in engine speed or sound
--Oil level is at the add mark
--Forgot to check coolant hoses when engine running, but immediately afterwards they weren't pressurized (rad cap could be bad though). --On the 600 mile trip from Kaleb's the car would make a slight haze of gray smoke when it was floored (probably normal)

Probably just leaky valve seals, pretty normal, or common on those engines.

--Also on the trip from Kaleb's it made a big puff of white smoke when accelerating from a stop sign immediately after getting off the interstate. I thought valve stems at the time, but I don't remember if the smoke was bluish or not. I don't think it was.

Occasionally the car goes into fast idle for no reason. Giving the throttle a blip will return it to low idle. Kaleb could push on a black box (some kind of ECU) on the firewall and get the idle speed to change. Is this related?

That box is the idle computer. Its brand new but I think make the contacts for the connector might be dirty. They are sometimes very picky and if not making good contact will go to a high idle.

WTF?  I know nothing about gas cars...

John 'happy the fire department didn't show up' Robbins

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
 89 300E, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D x2,
 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D,