I've known a number of MBs to be cured of excess oil consumption by allowing the oil level to drop part way to the lower mark rather than keeping the level at the full mark.

I suspect there is some "thrashing" of oil by some engines at the top mark on the dipstick, and the oil is then either foamed or blasted to mist by the crank and hence out the crankcase breather and into the intake, or the excessive velocity of oil thrown up onto the cylinder walls overwhelms the oil control rings and it gets into the cylinders that way.

When the lever drops a bit, the oil gets thrown around less and doesn't get where it shouldn't.

I never fill mine till they get to the lower mark, and don't add more than a quart unless I'm taking off on a long highway trip in the summer, where I need the maximum oil cooling capacity.

Of course, on the old 72 220D it didn't matter (no long highway trips!) because it used about 4 quarts of oil to a tank of fuel....

Peter