Gary Hurst wrote:

i used to astound the foreign students a the university of rochester walking
around in nothing but an ordinary long sleeved shirt and jeans in sub zero
temparatures and not being cold and they were wearing large winter coats and
freezing.

I used to wear shorts and sandals at Michigan State unless I was leaving the dorm, I was used to living in a 65 degree house in the winter. A friend and I would go to the movies in a neighboring dorm dressed like that (the classrooms we used for movie night got quite warm with a few hundred bodies in them). So we'd be calmly walking along in shorts and sandals, sometimes it might be 0-10 degrees F on a clear night, and see what comments it would draw. Most common was "Where are you guys from, Alaska or something?" I always let Stan answer that one: "Coastal Texas, actually". Sure, it was a bit nippy walking around like that, but it was only a 100yd walk, as opposed to two hours in a packed auditorium holding a winter coat in your lap.

Mitch.