From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Donald Snook
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:12 PM
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Fiat gets 35% stake in Chrysler

Curt wrote: "I think we can all agree you're not the average car buyer...
Neither am I for that matter.

The 300 starts at about $28k.
Chevy Impala $25k.
Buick LaCrosse $25k
Buick Lucerne $28k
Ford Taurus $25k
Toyota Camry $20K
Toyota Solara $21K
Toyota Avalon $28K
Honda Accord $21K
Those are all starting prices and really have no real impact on what you'd
pay but they're kind of fair for comparison I think. I'd like to point out
the three Toyotas and the Honda. In 10 years which do you think is going to
be worth more, a Toyota Avalon or the Chrysler 300?
If you talk about fuel economy it only gets worse for the 300: Chrysler 300
- 17/23 Chevy Impala - 18/29 Buick LaCrosse - 17/28 Buick Lucerne - 17/26
Ford Taurus - 18/28 FWD, 17/24 AWD Toyota Camry - 19/28 Toyota Solara -
21/31 Toyota Avalon - 19/28 Honda Accord - 22/31
Again I pulled for base models only to keep it kind of fair. It'd be
interesting to pull for the Hybrid versions of the Chrysler, Toyota and
Honda, oh wait..."

I is important to point out that my email said IF I was in the market for a
new (or newer car), I would seriously consider the Chrysler 300.  So, your
argument has a few flaws.  I am not in the market for a new car. I would
never buy a new car. As to the fuel mileage you did not include the base
model because that would be the 2.7L engine which is rated at 18/27 (of
course, I wouldn't buy the 2.7L anyway).  Of all the cars you mentioned the
only ones I like are the Avalon and the Impala.  I wouldn't buy any of these
cars until they were at least 5 years old.  By the way, I don't know where
you got your numbers from.  IF I was going to buy a new car from this list,
I would consider the true Cost to own which includes: depreciation,
financing, insurance, taxes, fuel, maintenance and repairs.  Here is a
comparison of the cars you provided.  The cost to own is provided in terms
of cost per mile (assuming 5 year ownership with 15,000 miles per year):

Chrysler 300            .57 per mile
Chevy Impala            .56
Buick LaCrosse          .63
Buick Lucerne           .65
Ford Taurus             .58
Toyota Camry            .51
Toyota Solara           .54 (2008 only they quit making it for 2009)
Toyota Avalon           .62
Honda Accord            .47

Based on these numbers, I should buy a Honda Accord.  I like the Accord.
But, even after seeing these numbers I would lean towards the 300. But, the
Accord is certainly cheaper to drive.  I think I would be a lot more
comfortable in the 300.

The real numbers for me look like this:

What can I buy for $2500 and drive for a year and turn around and sell for
$2500.  My taxes are low, my insurance is liability only, hopefully repairs
and maintenance are low and most of the cars I buy have depreciated about as
much as they can (and some appreciate when I sell them).

By the way, the same website says that the new E320 Bluetec diesel is .85
per mile.

Donald H. Snook