Mitch wrote: "While any individual renter may be just fine, there is a
statistically significant inverse relationship between property value and
percentage of rental homes vs owner occupied. OTOH, you can work it to your
advantage after the neighborhood goes to heck. Back in the 1980's I knew a guy
who lived in a run down part of Lansing, MI. He fixed his house up, fenced it
in, and bred GSD guard dogs in the back yard. Whenever a house on his block
would go up for sale, he'd buy it for $20-30k, fix it up, and rent it to
somebody he'd want for a neighbor. The idea was to eventually be in control of
who all the neighbors were, while being able to retire on the rent proceeds."

I rented a house in Topeka, KS when I was going to law school.  It was the only
rental house in the neighborhood. It was all little old ladies (who had lived
there for 30 years) or new couples with their first home. I told the landlord
that if we were going to rent the house, we would be staying for three years.
He was thrilled.  In fact, I got him to lower the rent by $50 a month if I
signed a 2 year lease.

It was a great neighborhood.  When I first moved in, I was doing a lot of yard
work (classes didn't start for three weeks and I was bored) and the little old
widow next door would bring me iced tea and cookies. She said she had never
seen a renter work so hard on the yard.  I said, we are going to be here for
three years, so it might as well be nice.  The landlord loved us (as you can
imagine) and let us do all sorts of projects. In fact, he paid me to remodel a
basement bathroom.  He really liked it when my student loan checks would come
in, because I would pay all of the rent for the next months.  We figured that
if we had the money, we might as well pay it because we were poor and no matter
what, we would have a place to stay.

As it turns out, I should have bought the house and sold it when I moved to
Wichita.  With all of the improvements we did on the house, that is exactly
what the landlord did.

Not all renters are bad.

Donald H. Snook