John,

I'm not an expert on the 2.5T engine controls, but I have a hard time
buying the claim that an injection pump sensor is bad. I believe the
only sensor on those pumps is a rack position sensor, and I think
there's a procedure in the manual explaining how to test it. If it's
bad, yes it requires pump disassembly to repair, or basically
installing a rebuilt pump ($$$$) or a used pump (only $$$). I'd make
VERY sure that is the problem before doing the swap, and even then I'd
most likely just get a used pump rather than a $2k new/rebuilt. Rusty
might be able to get you a rebuilt unit cheaper, if you do need one.

If you have the time, I would swap pumps between your 2 cars and see
if the problem follows the pump or not. It could be done in one
weekend as DIY.

:-)

-Dave M.