On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 6:11 PM, MG <trainpain2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The VW TDi probably doesn't have enough power to replace the gas 4 cyl.

I think it does.  The original TDI was a sweet engine---I once had one
in an '00 New Beetle.  100 hp and 150 lb-ft, more or less, from 1.9
liters.  Later versions get a lot more go from basically the same
design due to a slight displacement increase and injection
improvements---I think they are pushing 150 hp and over 200 lb-ft now,
comparable to a Benz 603 turbo, from 2.1 liters.

Wikipedia lists the old Jeep 2.5 four-banger at 121 hp and 145 lb-ft
in final 21st-century fuel-injected form but much less in earlier
carbed versions.  So the VW engine is comparable powerwise, and is
certainly lighter.  There's precedent for the possibility of
fabricating whatever custom mounts and adapters are needed for the
swap, too, since the TDI is routinely transplanted not only into other
front-engine/front-drive VWs but also rear-engine transaxle
applications (Vanagons) as well as into small Japanese 4x4s like the
Suzuki Samurai.

Alex Chamberlain