The original design had a hook under the control arm that prevented it dropping too far. This is vastly better than a sway bar, as a sway bar won't do diddly for rear end lift due to braking. VWs tend to flip over, too, but in those had a better geometry and much less hp (astonishingly less on the old ones). The management (notably Ed Cole) removed the hook because it was "too expensive". Cost every upper level manager with a teenager a serious accident -- some were killed.

The Corvair disaster cost GM a pile of engineers -- they quit in disgust (and fear of being sued) and went to work for Ford and Chrysler, some even to AMC. I think one of them was Lee Iococa, who then ended up working on the Mustang and going to Chrysler.

Peter

On Feb 8, 2009, at 4:14 PM, barry Stark wrote:

Peter -
True, the first three years of the Corvair with the "swing" axles were roll over cars as were the early VW bugs. In fact one of my high school teachers had a '61 Corvair that his wife was driving when it rolled over. The usual cause, go over a whoop de do and then turn into a tight curve. Caused the rear wheel track to shrink and the wheels to have a highly positive camber. Perfect formula for a roll over. She came out all right though, largely attributed to the fact that she was wearing a bunch of curlers in her hair and they said that they acted like a helmet to some extent and saved her from getting a concussion. If you remember the '60s bouffant hairdos you will understand why. GMC did substantially reduce the roll over effect in late '63 with a beefy anti-sway bar much like the ones in our MBs, and in '85 they went to a double jointed rear axle, again very much like our MBs,
well no, actually just like the Corvettes of that vintage. With decent
shocks and wider tires the later 'Vairs handled pretty well. A friend and I built a '65 'Vair that would outrun 911's on the open road. Of course on a track I'm sure it would have been a very different story. It was basically a stock chassis with stock brakes and it had a rather unnerving tendency to
get very light on the front wheels if you stood on it very hard. (:O

Needless to say we had a lot of fun with the car but it was so overpowered it had some issues. I think it got about 2 miles to the gallon of premium fuel. The L60-14 tires didn't last long either as I recall. Had to keep off
the foot feed in second gear or they would just spin a lot. We had to
replace the main bearings about every 200 miles. We felt that the crankcase halves just weren't up to the task, and then there was the problem of the cam timing gear wanting to walk off the end of the cam. The cam gear was pressed onto the end of the cam and that just wasn't good enough for the loads imposed by the heavier springs and the extreme lift. The addition of a
couple of set screws seems to minimize the effect. I know this seems a
little "mickey" but after all we were just "weekend racers" working out of
his welding shop with very limited funds.

Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes- boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Peter Frederick
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 12:46 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] [OT]Was Airbus Comments, now Unsage at Any Speed

Actually, it was worse than a design error.  It was the deliberate
removal of a designed safety device (the camber limiter on the rear
axles to prevent "jacking" the rear end up) by upper management to
save $1.50 per car that made the Corvair a death trap.  Besides the
fact, that like all GM products as the time, all there was to the
body as a single layer sheet metal box. Squashed flat if you jumped
on the top of the car, let alone hit anything.

Peter