Luther wrote:
Where would you suggest buying a exhaust gas pyrometer?

I just did a quick search, Auto Meter 2654, for example, seems to be running
$130-140 at Jegs, egauges, and amazon. I'm not sure which probe that comes with.
I got the same gauge a few years ago off eBay for about $80 with the clamp-on sensor kit.
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2654-Electric-Pyrometer/dp/B0009RUXI8/
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult3.asp?Type=Pyrometer&Series=Z_Series&Units=E
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto%20Meter/105/2654/10002/-1?CT=999&s_kwcid=auto%20meter%202654|2620567040

Right now, VDO Cockpit is way cheaper than Auto Meter Z-series, and matches the MBZ VDO gauges a bit better: (note that 310-953 includes the probe, don't buy a gauge without a probe)
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?Type=Pyrometer&Series=Cockpit&Units=E