Gerry
From: Rich Thomas
The lasers are pretty pricey, about $2k for one with sufficient power
that will last for a while (the gas leaks out of the cheap ones).
cnczone.com has a lot of info on such things.  A good laser tube has a
variable power supply, cooling of the PS, and other bits to make it work
well.  A buddy of mine has a laser cutter kit he and a friend bought,
the whole set up (laser system and mirrors and frame and stepper motors
and controller etc) cost about $10k.  A lot of guys have thrown money
away on cheap chinese lasers to learn costly lessons that it is better
to drop the $2k+ and do it right.
I built a CNC machine for a router, use it a lot.  I could mount a laser
on it, or a sprayer, or most anything, but I shy away from spending that
kind of money on the laser (which BTW are UV lasers, you gotta be REAL
careful on those).
I just saw a writeup for using a blue laser from an HD DVD player to
make a nice little torch in a flashlight (kids! Don't try this at
home!), that might cut some thin vinyl or paper, and those can be
scavenged from the loser HD DVD format.
--R

Wilton Strickland wrote:
'Talking to engineer/inventor friend again at lunch today.  'Coupla days
ago, he was SAYING, " small/portable plasma torch," but he MEANT to be
saying "LASER cutter."  His questions about plasma torch reminded me of
What he has in mind, though, is to mount a LASER cutter in place of the pin
on a HP plotter to cut out gaskets, small combustable items, etc.  Any
ideas?
Wilton