Dave,

It sounds like your turbocharger may be in need of a rebuild. What you
describe is definitely not normal. If consumption is OK with the
15W-50, I'd be tempted to keep using it until the problem gets worse,
and then fix it. Or fix it now if you have the time and money. A good,
tight OM603 engine should use a quart of oil (or less) in 4-6kmi. I
assume you already know about the rod issues in your 3.5L engine,
which can eventually lead to ovaled cylinders and - you guessed it -
extreme oil consumption (but not through the intake tract!)

:-)

Best regards,

Dave M.
Boise, ID