Except in applications that need a long shelf life. The new
"EnergyOn" type NiMH cells are better, but alkaline still rules if
you want more than 6 month shelf life.
That's true. I use NIMH batteries in low drain devices, but rotate them out once a month or so with charged ones such that they never go dead. I find this more convenient than waiting for alkalines to go dead, because I never have a device with an unexpectedly dead battery. This is especially nice for bicycle lights, GPS, etc. I can understand alkalines for REALLY low drain devices like remote controls, smoke detectors, alarm clocks, and other things that can last years on a set, and don't cause a serious problem when they run dead.

Well, a typical 6V lantern battery is rated for 11-13 Ah. Each
of the four 1.5 V cells has that capacity.

That's 11,000 to 13,000 mAh. Or about the equivalent of 5 or 6
ultra-high-capacity NiMH cells.

Or about 11 or 12 standard capacity NiMH or alkaline cells.
I didn't realize that a 6V lantern battery had only four cells. I was thinking that if they really were AAs (or some other small cell) in parallel they'd probably be cheap dry cells, and nowhere near the 2,500mAh or so modern AAs can store.