LarryT wrote:
What what I can tell, the Euro lights don't look much different from the US lights - based on what my lights look like at least - so I'm guessing the difference is in the bulbs each can take - right?

They're quite different in construction. Different reflectors, lenses, bulbs, etc. Here are two pictures of my 92 2.5T with the Katmac euro headlights...

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tymbrymi2/92_300D#5245265398684995874
http://picasaweb.google.com/Tymbrymi2/92_300D#5245265494375739266

I read somewhere the US housings are plastic - and cannot take the heat of higher output bulbs found on euro cars which have metal headlight housings. Does that sound right?

I think the plastic housing is a limitation, but the main limitation is the *horrible* optics of the US headlights. If you put in a brighter bulb, you'll do nothing but blind oncoming drivers. The euro headlights have a sharp cutoff pattern so you won't blind anyone.

Here's what I found on ebay - item 400032189812 which supposedly shows the US and Euro side-by-side.

Looks to me like they are just different "action shots" of the euros...

HTH!
John