Thanks - Actually the tranny symptoms are pretty much true of all I have
read about what happens to these at about 160K, but this one was a city
dweller till I bought it.  No reverse, slipping between 2 and 3.  Slightly
burnt fluid.  My Volvo experience has been that Parts are super cheap and
basically falling out of the trees.  I have had the equivelent of teh E320,
a 960 and an 850 1997 and 1996 respectivly.  Both are good cars, but was
really ready for something else.  The E320 is silent going down the road
compared to the volvos of the same age.  The E320 is smaller, fuel economy
seems about the same, handleing is comperable as is comfort.  Many things
seem to be simpler in the E320.  Parts prices seem to be much higher then
the recent Volvo's I have had, but they are also far more sophisticated.  A
factor water pump for the 960 is about 60 bucks, and it seems to be about
250 bucks for the E 320.  Does the timming chain need to be replaced as any
kind of routine maintance?  How about anything else for routine that needs
to be done to ensure longevity?

Thanks,

Peter