If you plug "tire diameter conversion" into Google you will come up with a number of possibly useful websites. Here's one:
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
Gerry
Oh sure, bring logic into it ;)
The problem is I think of these things at work where I've only got the 190D to refer to. I need to wait until I get home, then my wife has to get home, then I have to go outside...
Tirerack does say 195/70-14 for an '83 300D...
-Curt

Plate on driver inside door post will provide all info needed.
John