LarryT wrote:
Now here's a guy in trouble! ebay # 180337348083 97 E300D - seller says he bought it last year for $97XX and after listing the item he learns it has a salvage title! With ~2 days left on the auction its only up to $200!

A friend of mine (used car dealer) once took a trade from a smooth talking consumer without getting the title at time of sale. When the jerk finally 'found' the title and brought it to the dealer, it was a salvage title. Instant 50% depreciation on the trade-in.

When he was telling me the story, I assumed the punch line would be that the title had a secured interest on it. It would be worse, IMO, to find out that there was a lien on the title for more than retail value than to find out the title was salvage with no lien.

Mitch.