On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Wilton Strickland <wilt...@nc.rr.com>wrote:
And steel was in short supply, and they could put that new-fangled plywood
to good use.
Wilton

Hmmm ..... a wood bodied W110 ...... the possibilities.
EdB
Some of the early cars had wood frames with steel skins. Our families first car was a '28 Oakland. It had wood spoke wheels and the doors were wood frames covered with steel. Although I was only five years old when we got it, I remember my brother-in-law repairing the wood frame inside the right side door which had been damaged. The body itself may have been constructed the same way but the chassis was probably steel since it was a "modern" car that could be driven 60 mph on the highway on long trips.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=1928+oakland+automobile&gbv=2
The sporty coupe with the cloth top and the rumble seat was the model we had. The cloth top was "permanent" and couldn't be folded down, but we kids loved the rumble seat. On Sundays the whole family; six and sometimes eight; would crowd into the Oakland and go 'way out Grinstead Drive to the Frozen Custard walk-up drive in for hamburgers, coke, and frozen custard. We'd roll up the back curtain and often sing while driving along. If teenage cousin Neil was visiting, he would tell jokes and keep us all in stitches. Those were the good old days in some respects; simpler times.
Gerry