hi all!

just in time for some of the coolest weather we've had here lately, the Glow Plug Light on our '85 300D isn't lighting, and cold starts have suddenly become a fairly lengthy affair of several long cranking attempts accompanied by a bit of whitish smoke immediately following its eventual start-up. (smoke is an unusual occurrence for this rig, since it eats almost exclusively B99.) if i leave the key in the 'Glow' position for long enough before starting, i eventually (~45 secs) hear a resounding 'click' from the area of the Glow Relay, so is it safe to ASSuME it's just time for 2 or more glow plugs? what's the best way to check to verify exactly what the problem is? is there perhaps a handy diagnostic write-up somewhere online someone can recommend and point me to?

cheers!