On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:56:57 -0500 OK Don <okd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I found it easier to attach the tranny outside the car, then install the
> whole assembly-  AFTER I got one of those engine tilting hoist
> accessories!
>
> > If you have the transmission attached, it will act as a lever to keep
> > the whole assembly from flopping. You just need to have someone hold
> > the front of the engine to make sure it stays upright.

When we changed our '82 240D from 4 cylinders to 5, I had the engine and
transmission on the ground and installed a block heater where none had
been before. Then I rigged it up with a chain connected to a hoist and put
it in the engine bay. We had a rope attached to the back of the
transmission that went out behind the car. On a slightly sloping driveway
with the front of the car pointing downhill, a friend and I man handled
the hoist and the front of the engine while Shirley pulled on the rope at
the rear, sitting on the ground with her feet braced on the rear bumper.
It worked OK. But you're right, it would have been easier with one of
those engine tilting jobbies.

Craig