the 300SDL cracks heads, the 350 bends rods

Rich Thomas wrote:
OK I am still obsessing. Found this "official" 126 site, http://www.s-klasse-club.de/gb/index.html wherein it says:

*Diesel:*
The Diesel versions were only produced for the North American export market. Over here, they are quite rare, therefore we have only limited information about their performance. Even the best MB workshops generally do not know how to handle these cars when they require service. More often than that, spare parts for these cars are sought in 123 spare parts lists, not always the most reliable source. Most 126 diesels in Europe are privately converted gasoline engine versions. We have to advise against those: Quality of such projects is hard to describe! Those who are looking for an original diesel should look for the telltale US markings: Combined mileage/kilometer counter, fat bumpers front and rear, English text on switches, VIN plate visible through the front windshield and the characteristic sealed beam headlights and taillights with integrated running lights. The diesel was available in three main engine variants: the 5-cylinder OM617 300SD Turbo diesel (until 1985), the 6-cylinder OM603 300SDL turbo diesel (only available as long wheelbase version) and the 6-cylinder OM603 350SD turbo diesel. We have to advice against the 350SD because of its tendency to develop cracks in the cylinder head. Best buy is the 300SDL, both because of the long wheelbase option and the better performance (145 HP against 120 HP of the OM617).

So, this car I looked at supposedly had a bad head gasket, this seems to suggest cracking head could be a problem. Anyone have an (relevant) opinion? If I got this thing would it be a boat anchor, or if the head is indeed cracked, would a good one be findable?

--R