you are correct, that is exactly how you do it on the diesels in a 115 or earlier car. In the later cars, they provide lift points up top.

tom tomscat wrote:
Hi,

I swapped out the motor several times on my 1975 W115 300D a few years back.  I
was swapping engines between my 1975 and my 1976, and then (long story) I ended
up swapping them back.... so probably a total of 3 removals and two
installations.

I was given a tip:  you don't need an engine tilting mechanism.  Leave the
tranny attached, then lift the engine by using a strap around the engine just
behind the oil sump.  I used a cherry picker crane hoist.  The weight of the
tranny gives the engine an almost perfect tilt to clear the firewall, front end
and front grill assembly.  I did it singlehandedly in my garage, and I couldn't
believe how easy it was.  The first time it took me less than 10 mins to
maneuver it out.  The biggest problem I had was, while moving around the car
checking all the clearances, I knocked over my coffee mug.  Twice!  :)

I did use a little scissor jack under the tranny for support.  And installation
is the reverse of removal, of course.  One of the MB manuals---maybe Chilton's,
I'm not sure--- has a pic of the process with the strap attached correctly.
That properly positioned strap made the job a piece of cake.

BTW, I wish I had swapped in the block heater from the '76 to the '75 at the
time, but that remains a project for..... manana.  Or maybe the day after
manana.  :)

Tom Schuch

1975 W115 300D

and a few BMWs