From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Loren Faeth
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:24 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 205 vs 195 size tires for 1983 W123 300TD wagon?

I agree.  Buy a pair of new ones, put them on the front.  Put a pair
of the others on the rear, put the third in the back as a spare.  GO
with the OE tire size.  Oversize tires on an MB don't work
well.  (except for replacing 13" wheels with 14" wheels on 110/111
cars.)  You want the new tires on the front, because if the rear
breaks loose, you can steer.  If the front breaks loose, you have no
control.

Interesting thing I have observed.  the rolling circumference of the
7.00-13 on the 110, the 185/70-14 of a 123  and the 205/65-15 of a
126 all have nearly the same rolling circumference.  Damn
krauts.  Always practical!  Like the valve cover gaskets on BMW
motorcycles from the 1950 (and maybe before) until they dropped the
airhead for the oilheads are all the same.  Just too practical!  I LOVE IT!

In the meantime, you should be ok.  If there is much difference in
the rolling circumference of the two tires in the rear, it will cause
the diff to work more.  Prolonged use will cause premature
failure.  If you are just tooling around town, to work and so forth,
you should be ok for a while.  If I were going to be on
the  interstate for 1000 miles or more, I'd put the matching tires on the
rear.

<wilt...@nc.rr.com>wrote:

> > Why did you have a blowout?  Obvious physical damage to the tire or a
tire
> > defect?  If it was physical damage causing the blowout, and you can
>"trust"
> > the remaining three not to blow for no obvious reason, and the spare is
an
> > equally good tire of the same size with good tread, continue to enjoy
>them.
> >
> > Wilton

Loren Faeth

Checked by AVG.