Haven't paid attention lately, but Fisher & Paykel had a $700 (MSRP) toploader that was made in NZ (beats China) and was one of the most efficient top loaders out there. If you get a front loader, you'll be on your knees or you'll be spending hundreds on those silly pedestals to get them up off the floor. I got one in 2002, zero problems so far. Stainless basket, direct drive motor, 1000rpm spin. Winter coats come out of that thing feeling almost dry. Jeans take 1/2hr in a 1960's Kenmore dryer after the Fisher-Paykel spins them out.

Maytag Neptune had horrible reliability when they came out, I hope it's better now but I have no idea.

If you want it to last for 50 years, get a Speed Queen made for commercial on-premises use. It's a laundromat machine without the coin box. They're made to use a minimum of power and water, and put up with incredible user abuse for decades. Six years ago, the front loaders were about $1500.

And another lifetime washer: http://www.staber.com
There's a company in Ohio called Staber that makes a horizontal axis top loading washer. All the bearings/belts are off the shelf stuff and it was designed to be user serviceable. Price is up in the Speed Queen range though. The people that live on mountaintops with no powerlines love them. They are very efficient, you can order special models that run on DC, and most of the parts can be ordered from McMaster-Carr and user installed.

Mitch.