This is the market the Staber fills in modern washing machines.  We got one
cheap on ebay, and are really happy with it.  It does leak if you put too much
detergent (takes .5-1oz of the low-sud stuff) and the belt will jump off every
now and again, but Staber doesn't rip you off on parts when you order from
them, nor do they care if you open it up without special factory training.
Takes all of 5 minutes to gain access to every part on the machine.  Factory
shop manuals for all components are free on staber.com.

Our Staber is currently offline due to a stuck motor brush, and I haven't made
it to a motor shop to get a new one.  I will take Mitch's advice and check
McMaster-Carr... (I can order a new motor from Staber, but I figure I have to
exhaust the brush route first. :)

Running, yes, a 30yo Maytag in its absence, which I conveniently paralleled
into the plumbing when installing the Staber.

Staber has about 2/3 the capacity of the "extra large" Maytag, we do one load
per day (2 kids 2 adults) in either washer.  I can get away with skipping a day
or two a week on the Maytag, on the Staber I have to run extras if I miss one.
The Staber did a better job getting water out; the dryer often runs 1.5-2
cycles on a Staber-sized Maytag load, and never ran a full cycle on a Staber
load.

All told it is a nice machine, since we got ours used I can't say how warranty
support is but in the aftermarket legacy support is surprisingly good.  I made
no bones about my ebay buy and the support folks have always been willing to
talk to me on the phone anyway, and seem to really like the product.

Best,
-Tim