Local CL has a 1990 560SEL for $2195, looks just like our SDL
but shinier and probably not wrecked several times,

Ah, the eternal holy grail of the cheap 126 that stays cheap after you
buy it.  Never gonna happen.  Resist the siren's sweet call!

The temptation has been removed.  Largely by parking it in
my driveway.  Looks good, has heated seats, reclining rear, etc.
Needs some TLC, but nothing too bad.  Is leaking oil out the SLS
pump, and somewhere else that it can be burned off of a hot bit.
Also won't upshift if you're into the throttle heavily.  Otherwise
drove well.  AC probably non-functional.

        http://userweb.windwireless.net/~jimc/SEL.html

The thought was that this might be a quicker way to get Jill back
into a large 126 than fixing up the SDL.  (Which I still intend to do.)
And/or making one ideal car out of two, if things need to go that way.
(There would be State issues, though.)

If I seem to disappear, it IS foul play.  My body will be easy to
find, in the trunk of this car and pushed/buried in our woods somewhere.

OTOH it's a white stretch 126, maybe Jill will think it's the SDL
and won't notice.  She tends to put gasoline in the things anyway...

-- Jim