I got summoned to pick up my parents when they wrecked mom's car today.
I met them at the hospital and then went to the impound yard to empty their car and take pics of the damage. On the way back to the hospital, my Achieva started making a noise, kind of like a bad alternator bearing. Turns out there was some steel on steel grinding in the A/C clutch, which throws the occasional spark with the engine running and the A/C off. Turn on the A/C, the noise goes away, and my mpg drops 3-4 points because I'm running the stupid A/C full time.

What's it take to remove an A/C clutch? Is it rebuildable? Might just need a bearing. The system doesn't leak and I've no desire to open it up or disturb the hoses if I can handle the problem with the compressor mounted to the engine. Unfortunately, compressor is down low and I don't know if I can take the clutch off through the fender.

Mitch.