Damn!!!!!!!!!! 'Might oughta get me coupla those if my 20-year-old Sears units don't last another 15 years or so.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Bruckmann" <bruckma...@transcontinental.ca>
To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 8:20 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT, more washer stuff

I can't believe I haven't waded into this discussion yet, given my obsession with laundry appliances.

Front loaders:

-use WAY less water

-wash WAY better

-spin faster, resulting in reduced drying time

-are gentler on your clothes (no agitator)

-depending on the machine, can handle silks and woollen items that are not normally washable.

The pinnacle of front-loaders is the Miele (any machine of theirs will knock out any competitor), and next in line are the LG machines.

Key features that distinguish between machines/makes:

-built-in water heater (more efficient than bringing heated water from a distant water heater, and keeps water temp constant over the cycle)

-max water temp (95 Celsius for the better machines)

-temperature control (more settings than just hot/warm/cold)

-spin speed control (some fabrics don't handle the high-speed spin so well)

-ability to soak/delay timer

-water supply/drain fault detection

In my view, the important features are:

-ability to wash at a sustained temperature of greater than 60°C, which is the temperature at which dust mites are killed

-highest spin speed (1200-1600 RPM) to reduce drying time

-good balance logic; my Miele can handle impermeable, unbalanced loads quite well compared to my friend's LG, which takes a LOT longer to balance a load, if it doesn't give up. And all the time it takes to find the balance adds to the wash cycle time.

You will not need bleach in a front-loader, at least not in a good machine.

Traditional (euro-sized) front loaders (24" wide) will hold about 6kg of laundry. That's enough to do about 13 full-sized bath towels, or about as much as would fit in a top-loader. Duvets and king-size pillows fit just fine.

The trend now is towards 27" machines, which IMHO are overkill. They'll handle something like 18-20 towels.

D.