From: "Tim C" <bb...@crone.us>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:11 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Ext HDD, was RE: OT -new computer

The networked storage will seem faster than USB on the laptop but probably not the desktop, if I'm reading your setup correctly. (USB always on desktop, laptop uses networked file sharing from desktop?)

You're talking about something more complicated than USB to ethernet, you need a USB host (like a computer) for that to work. There are widgets that allow you to put a SATA or IDE drive on an ethernet network - sometimes they double as routers - but they aren't particularly cheap, at least compared to USB versions. Consumer models typically run small Linux distros and appear to attached machines as Windows file shares, at least.

I can dig up a couple of product links if you still want to go this route.

Best,
-Tim