If the fluid coming out is in bad shape (usually is) I go through a
few fluid changes using generic cheap ATF until it comes out clear -
then drain and fill with Mobil-1. It takes a while for all the
accumulated gunk to work loose. I also place a few neodymium magnets
in the pan and/or on the filter.

-Dave Walton