Would tow a Mini fine, but that seems a lot of money for an 8 year old
truck that is probably near the end of its service life unless it's been
well maintained.

I think that when I was still a college student I could move
in one pickup truck load, but most people can't even come close.
How dense is their load to be?  A 1/2-ton truck might not have
the nuts to do the job safely and well, if there's a lot of stuff
stacked halfway to heaven, or a lot of weight.  And towing a car
behind too?  Look for a 3/4- or 1-ton.

I'd also look for something a whole lot cheaper and, if you'll
forgive the expression, okie-ish.  Then if it only serves for
the one trip it's not so much money to waste.  Or do they figure
on needing a truck from here on out in their lives?

Hard to beat the volume an actual moving truck will carry, though.

-- Jim