If they don't know much about cars, buying something very used to move halfway across the country is risky. If a bad trans strands them, their costs go up considerably. I'd only buy a truck if they need a truck later.

I have a wonderfully ingenious and very cheap utility trailer, made by snowbear and purchased from Home Depot for $600. It is a 5x8 box trailer that converts to a 12.5x8 flatbed, as the headgate and tailgate can be dropped to horizontal. It's low to the ground and weighs 500# empty. Will haul far more volume than a half-ton pickup, and just about anything l can tow it (including my 70 hp Vanagon). It paid for itself in one trip to Iowa from Maine, (has made two round trips so far, both loaded to the gills) and has hauled literally tons and tons and tons of stuff with no maintenance whatsoever. Is endlessly useful, and prevents having to buy a truck.

That would be my suggestion for a moving vehicle, if they have a car larger than the mini. Pack both cars, load the trailer, drive the mini, tow the trailer with the other car.

They must be careful to load the trailer so the tongue load is right around 10# of the payload. Trailer tows wonderfully. If they need more capacity, towing the trailer with a van or truck should provide such.

You don't need much HP to tow. I towed the above trailer from Maine to Iowa with a pickup, with a half-ton in the truck and nearly a ton on the trailer. Pickup was a 1986 S-10 4 cyl, 5 speed. Came all the way home at 65, in 5th, getting 18 mpg. That's only 2.5 liters and 92 hp. Had to downshift to 4th once, to pull the three-mile upgrade ascending the Berkshires on the mass pike. The berkshires are not the rockies, but I was still in 4th, and still going 65....

If they tow with an automatic, they need a trans cooler. Sticks are fine as is.

Dan