I know, of course, that I need to look for the dreaded single-row
timing chain on the 3.8 liter... is the difference between single- and
double-row chains obvious once I get a valve cover off?

Absolutely.

Anything else to look for?  I've never driven a gas 126 or a coupe,
but have test-driven 300SDs and SDLs at various times so I have a
rough idea what the car ought to feel like if the suspension is in
decent shape. (And I should expect it to have about the same amount of
grunt as an SDL, right?)

It should have some more horsepower, but probably a little
less torque.  Still, ought to feel fairly snappy---just not
a powerhouse.

-- Jim