My guess would be front wheel bearings (did they put in new races? If not, the old ones eat the new bearing very fast, BTDT). Tires are also a possibility, but that noise varies with road speed almost always.

Yes, there is a bearing in each wheel carrier in the rear, and yes they can make noise.

Also check for things like a bad belt or a fan rubbing on the shroud, or dead engine mounts allowing something to rub, like hoses.

Peter

On Apr 24, 2009, at 3:44 PM, WILTON wrote:

Have you jacked up a front wheel and spun it by hand while listening closely and feeling for "roughness?" Nearly fifty years ago, I could confirm a bad wheel bearing in this manner, but as I said, I haven't done it a "while."

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "andrew strasfogel" <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 4:33 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Noisy W123 bearings - how diagnose? Front AND rear or justfront?

My 83 W123 300TD makes a peculiar sort of moaning/wowing noise above 45 mph that doesn't vary in pitch with the speed of the car. I had the front bearings replaced 6 months ago (both sides) but this noise sounds as if they
are shot again.  So here are my questions:

1) Could this be road noise from the front tires? The tires look fine, the
steering wheel is solid, and there is no shimmying.  .

2) Could the noise actually be coming from worn REAR wheel bearings? Are there bearings in the rear that must be replaced when worn out? This is NOT
the whining noise made by a worn out rear axle

3) Any other possible sources of the noise? In an earlier experience (a different 1983 300TD), the defective bearings made their racket at low rather than high speeds and this noise was a lot more obnoxious IIRC than
what I am hearing now...

4) Would it make sense to swap the front and rear tires to see if that makes
a difference?

Andrew
1983 300TD
1985 300CD (doesn't moan)